A BREATH OF FRESH AIR
Undoubtedly one of the most recognizable and elegant coffee makers available. The CHEMEX® was designed in 1941 and has been making delicious coffee ever since.
Its non-porous, heat-resistant glass construction, combined with proprietary, scientifically designed filters, produces coffee with clarity and complexity.
In fact, it's the filters that are the star of the CHEMEX® show. They are 20-30% heavier than other filters and remove even the finest sediment particles. The design of the filter facilitates the proper infusion time by regulating the filtration rate - about a 4 minute brew.
One warning: As the filters are made of heavy paper, they require a full rinse with hot water, before brewing, to remove any paper taste. It's worth noting that there are also other filter options for the CHEMEX®. If you want to try a re-usable filter that gives you a totally different, but equally delicious coffee, then check out the ABLE Kone
The CHEMEX® is so cool that it has a permanent display in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, and is how James Bond makes his coffee. What other endorsements do you need?
Since the CHEMEX® is made out of glass, you can see the coffee as it brews and, as it's a pour-over method, you can also customize your particular brew method very easily.
With the ChemAer, CHEMEX® have created a combined coffeemaker and aerator. By swirling brewed coffee against the paddles formed into the side of the ChemAer, the agitation brings more oxygen into the liquid and cools the temperature. Doing this alters the flavour beyond the initial extraction, which is where the experimentation comes in! Try it on all types of roasts, swirl to left or swirl to the right, have fun and see where to journey leads you.
The ChemAer was developed in collaboration with Trendglas and Hungarian Barista champion Attila Molnár. The goal was to create a product which offered an additional option for brewing coffee, one where anybody can enjoy the experience of experimenting with flavour in an elegant and easy way.
- 40oz (1182ml) capacity
- Designed to aerate and oxygenate coffee - or wine!
- Provides enhanced engagement with the brew after extraction
- May be used to aerate smaller 10oz - 20oz batches or brew up to a full 40oz pot of coffee
- Easy to clean - just remove filter and rinse through
- Heat-resistant glass made in Germany
- Requires CHEMEX® filters
- Super pretty!
- Glass Handle
The Eight Ounce Method
- Place a filter in the top of the CHEMEX®.
- Pour hot/boiling water through until all of the filter is saturated.
- Pour the water out of the CHEMEX®, via the channel, ensuring that the filter remains in place
- Grind and add coffee into the filter
- Start timer and pour enough water (195-205º) to saturate the coffee
- Swirl or stir coffee to fully saturate and let bloom for 45 seconds
- Add rest of water pouring in a clockwise, circular motion, without pouring to the very edge or overfilling the filter
- Once draw down is complete, remove the filter
- Aerate the coffee by moderately to vigorously swirling the brewed coffee in the carafe in a circular motion. Start with 5-10 seconds of swirling and adjust from there. It may take more than one brew to determine how much aeration suits your taste.
- Enjoy drinking your delicious coffee
The CHEMEX® Method
Get Into The Grind
Grind your favorite whole bean coffee to a medium coarse ground.
Open a CHEMEX® Bonded Coffee Filter into a cone shape so that one side of the cone has three layers, and place it into the top of the CHEMEX® Coffeemaker. The thick three-layer portion should cover the pouring spout.
Put one rounded tablespoon of ground coffee for every 5 oz. cup into the filter cone. Feel free to use more if you prefer it stronger; our CHEMEX® Coffeemaker brewing process eliminates bitterness and acidity.
Let It Bloom
Once you have brought the appropriate amount of water to a boil, remove it from the heat and allow it to stop boiling vigorously. Pour a small amount of water in a circular motion over the coffee grounds to wet them, and wait for about 30 seconds for the grounds to "bloom".
After the grounds bloom, slowly pour the water over the grounds while keeping the water level well below the top of the CHEMEX® Coffeemaker (a quarter inch or more).
Slowly pour the remaining water over the grounds, using a circular or back-and-forth motion as you pour to ensure an even saturation of the coffee.
Toss The Filter
Once the desired amount of coffee is brewed, lift the filter with spent grounds out of the brewer and discard. Our filters are biodegradable and compostable.
Moderately to vigorously swirl the brewed coffee in the carafe in a circular motion, being careful not to splash it out of the coffeemaker. Begin with 5-10 seconds of swirling and adjust from there. It may take more than one brew to dial in what tastes best for a particular bag of beans. This process is aerating the coffee and changing the flavor of the coffee after extraction.
Taste your creation
Pour your freshly made coffee into your CHEMEX® mug and indulge in the flavor.
cemex kemex v60 wave hario kalita coffee coffee maker brewer electric pourover pour-over pour over