THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE TRADE
When we see a tamper in a Barista’s hand we know the significance. It is the tool that a barista uses most often. The Tamp translates the Barista’s skill of craft into the resulting shot. Its is a tool of assumed simplicity with substantial purpose.
The Statesman's unique profile is ergonomically soothing. Its brass wear ring and stainless steel locking pin are subtle accents with origins tracing back to ancient tool construction. The Statesman is built by hand, making each a unique piece of work.
The Stainless steel base is precisely machined manually to accomplish some of the industries tightest tolerances + -.002 of inch. To help achieve an even and ideal extraction our stock tamper base diameter size is 58.3mm.
- 58mm Tamper - Actual Diameter 58.30mm (2.295inches) - Designed for use with precision baskets
- Handcrafted in the USA
- A beautiful selection of woods
- Precision engineered to +/- .002"
- Brass wear ring and stainless steel locking pin
- Size customizable, on request
- Custom engraving available on request
- Grip the tamper comfortably, with the handle sitting in the hollow of your palm (as you would grab a door knob) and the shaft of the tamper handle aligned as an extension of your forearm. There’s no need to grip the tamper very tight. Hold it loosely and comfortably, keeping your wrist neutral.
- Rest the portafilter level on the counter (preferably on a tamping mat so as to not damage the portafilter or the surface). Keeping the tamper level, slowly lower it onto the bed of coffee and press the tamper into the table just until you feel the table pressing back at you. That’s it! There’s no need for a twist of the tamper or for a second tamp. Also, don’t worry if you are pressing hard enough or not. It is better to press consistently and level than to press as hard as you can.
- Pro Tip: when tamping, keep your forearm perpendicular to the table and portafilter. This puts less strain on your wrist and makes it easier to tamp level.